Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Australian Ball

Jack and I have some friends who asked us to join their table at the Australian Ball at the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi. The night was quite entertaining. The people watching was great and I always love to dance to live music - maybe a little too much. I think I scare Jack sometimes. But, late into the evening, he was the one who actually suggested I jump into his arms during the Dirty Dancing song - The Time of My Life. I declined. The prom, I mean Ball, was a lot of fun, but it was basically a prom for a bunch of 30/40 somethings. And it looked like everyone was having a great time. It was a fundraiser as well for two Tokyo organizations, but during the live auction we couldn't even consider bidding on any of the opening bids. It never ceases to amaze me how much money exists in this city. Uh, yeah, let's bid on that hotel room at the Ritz for 4,000,000 Yen ( move your decimal), cause they are throwing in a massage as well. And that wasn't close to the final bid.

And apparently 7PM-1AM isn't long enough for a party anymore now that we live in Tokyo. I knew better, but we headed down the street to a dive bar called Heaven. I had actually been there before, but not Jack. It is very tiny with only seating for about 20? if that. We took up the last seats. This place is all about classic American rock, decorated with many familiar bands' memorabilia. The best part is that you can pretend you ARE a classic rock band. And so Jack got to pick up some sticks and play for a while. I think it's actually the first time he's played in a bar since we dated in Chicago. Another friend grabbed a guitar as well as one of the Japanese guys who worked there and then another Japanese guy sang - and as Jack put it, although he wasn't quite 'on', he sang better in English than we would have sung in Japanese. Rock on. I left at 3. I left Jack there with some of the others. The next day was very slow.

Facebookers, you can skip the photos. You have already seen them.







The beginning



Our group - 3 from the states, 1 from Australia and one from UK/Australia






The middle





The end

1 comment:

JUDY WENDT said...

What is a dive bar..or why is it called "dive"?