Friday, January 16, 2009

The dressing room

I never intended to buy any article of clothing while I was here. I couldn't imagine they would have my size. I played it safe and bought some socks in Harajuku (some rather tame ones for that part of the city). I went with the largest size, which I think was still smaller than my foot according to the chart. Surprisingly, they fit. Maybe that's what gave me the courage to take it to the next level. I simply wanted some layering pieces and headed to a store I have been told is similar to a Gap. I found my pieces, but had absolutely no idea how many centimeters I was in a shirt size, so I played it safe and went with the XL. Well, a little bittersweet as it fit. Now the socks and the camis were a 'buy without trying on sort of thing' and I got lucky. I then thought I would try on some pants. I never liked trying them on in the states and I definitely won't be trying them on again in Tokyo. I remember Jack tried on some pants at H & M in Omotosando and he said he couldn't even get them over his calves - haha, made me feel slightly better. Into the dressing room I brought some pants and a sweater, the sweater at least would be a bit more forgiving. As I stepped in past the curtain, the attendant said,"Excuse me, please take off shoes." Oops. Then she handed me a thin folded paper towel. She said this was for my face. My face? Ah! So my make-up doesn't rub off onto the clothing. Quite smart, because how many times do you go into a dressing room with a piece of clothing and see someone else's make-up smeared onto it? So I unfolded this towel and draped it over my head, feeling absolutely ridiculous even though no one could see me, and pulled the sweater over my head. Whaddya know? It worked. When I came out of the dressing room, returning all of the clothes, another woman was waiting for a room. The attendant offered her the towel, but instead she pulled her own out of her purse!

No comments: