Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Typhoon Melor

It's Thursday and all the kids are home again, not because of flu or other illness, but because of the typhoon that passed over Japan last night and early today. We had snow days in Minneapolis, and now we face typhoon days in Tokyo. There was as much chatter about the impending storm as there usually is about a snow storm back home. The embassy sent out a letter warning people to have passports in hand, earthquake emergency kits available and contacts abroad.

I must admit that I am a little disappointed. Sure there was a lot of rain and large gusts of wind, but if I didn't know there was a typhoon in the neighborhood I would have just thought it to be a very windy and rainy day. Now there are beautiful clear blue skies (it's only 12:55PM), something we haven't seen for a while because of a string of rainy days. I had hoped to see more 'weather'. I kept checking the weather report thinking, 'That's it? That's all we are going to get?' It's not that I wanted anything bad to happen, just something more to convince me that cancelling school was in everyone's best interest. How about a late start?????

No comments: